Atherosclerosis occurs when matters called plaques start accumulate at the artery wall. The plaques are often made up of calcium, cholesterol, fats and excess products. The atherosclerosis can lead to heart attacks or strokes because it prevents blood from going in and out the heart. You should do as the following to prevent atherosclerosis.
Atherosclerosis occurs when matters called plaques start accumulate at the artery wall.
- Stop smoking if you’re a smoker. Smoking damages artery walls and support the accumulations of plaques.
- Check your diet. A poor diet is one of the reasons of atherosclerosis. A diet that is rich in fat and cholesterol is dangerous to your health. Replace sugary and fatty foods with whole rice, fruits and vegetables.
Make plans on doing exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Make plans on doing exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Doing exercise can reduce cholesterol, blood pressure and the content of fats in your blood. A person who does exercise regularly has his risk of atherosclerosis decreased.
- Have checkups regularly. By a checkup, you’ll have your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked. If any of them is higher than the standards, you and your doctor can work it out and decrease the index.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels. People who are overweight and unable to control their sugar consumptions have more chances of atherosclerosis than normal.
Tips and warnings
If you’re in troubles of quitting smoking, ask your doctor for helps.
- If you’re in troubles of quitting smoking, ask your doctor for helps. There’re pills that help people quit smoking.
- It’s never too soon to start practicing any plans in preventing atherosclerosis. You may not want to be urged to change your lifestyle by a stroke or heart attack.